When my mom was having her chemo, there were little baskets with yarn, knitting needles and instructions in the various waiting areas. Now I know why.
Squares Of Care
Thank you to all who support the afghan program at Wellwood in Hamilton, Ontario. You can’t imagine how much the blankets are appreciated by those who receive them.
To date, the volunteers at Wellwood have given away more than 15,000 afghans since the program was started, a tally that is quickly approaching 16,000!
Here are the details needed to get started:
- Squares should be 6 1/2″ or 17 cm, although the group can work with a variety of sizes.
- Generally, 35 squares are used for a blanket (7′ X 5′).
- It is suggested that knitters use a #7 needle or 4.5. If crocheting, please make it a 6 1/2″ square.
- Please work the ends of the yarn into the squares, our square ladies use colourful yarn to sew the squares together.
- Knitters are asked to use Sayelle yarn rather than wool. (no reactions that way)
There is a large group that works on all aspects of the blankets each week, including washing and packaging, so all you need to do is drop off your squares and they can take it from there.Squares can be dropped off at the Wellwood office, down the main corridor of the Henderson Hospital. Wellwood is inside the hospital.
Wellwood Resource Centre of Hamilton
711 Concession Street
L8V 1C3Telephone: (905) 389-5884
Click here for a map to Wellwood.
Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m, to 4:00 p.m.
Monday evening 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m
Thursday evening 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
You can even leave them with the information desk at the Henderson or Juravinski Cancer Clinic – they know how to get hold of the people atWellwood.Additionally, a second community site has been opened:
Wellwood Juravinski House
501 Sanatorium Road (where Sanatorium meets Rice)
Hamilton, ON L9C 2A7
905-667-8870Click here for a map. (Free parking attached to house).
Evening hours only:
Mondays and Thursdays from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
When you drop off your first bunch, please leave your contact information with the squares. They like to send thank-you notes every few months.